Iowa Family Services

NEW ADDRESS as of 1/22/19:

4401 Westown Pkwy. STE 250

West Des Moines, IA. 50266

Phone: 515-270-0093

Fax: 515-270-4939

What We Do:

Iowa Family Services provides respite services for individuals on the Children's Mental Health Waiver.

Respite Care Services IAC 441-78.52(5)

—Respite services are provided for a temporary (short term) period.  Our respite provider gives relief to the usual caregiver and provides all the necessary care that a usual caregiver would provide during that period.  The “usual caregiver” means a person or persons who reside with the child and are available on a 24-hour-per-day basis to assume responsibility for the care of the child.

How do I use Respite Services:

Respite Service Parameters: 

  • Respite care shall not be provided to children during the hours in which the usual caregiver is employed, except when the child is attending a camp.
  • The usual caregiver cannot be absent from the home for more than 14 consecutive days during respite provision.
  • Staff-to-child ratios shall be appropriate to the individual needs of the child as determined by the child’s interdisciplinary team.
  • Respite can occurr in the provider's home, consumer's home, or any location open to the general public
    • Respite care in these locations can not exceed 72 continuous hours.
  • Documentation of all services to children and families is completed before services are billed to Iowa Medicaid.



How to receive respite for your child:

1. Go to your local DHS office

2. Ask for a HCBS waiver application

3. Complete application and send back
I have been approved for the waiver, now what:

1. Reach out to us and notify our staff you have been approved for the HCBS waiver
2. Our Service Supervisor will then reach out to the family to set up a time to complete intake paperwork
3. We then begin our search for a respite provider
a. We can pair you with one of our already employed providers
b. OR you can have a family member, friend, acquantaince, school provider, etc. apply to provide respite to your child
--ONLY if they are not the primary guardian can they provide respite